Sunday, May 11, 2008

The piano teacher’s dilemma

A Malaysian friend, whom I got to know from a yoga class, asked me out for dinner last week. She is a piano teacher by profession, and has been teaching privately in Singapore for the last five years. Both of us got along quite well together, and shared a few common interests like yoga, organic diet and music. I noticed that she was carrying a huge case when we met. Sensing my curiosity, she told me it was a viola inside and she had just attended a lesson.

Over our organic vegetarian dinner, she revealed that she had actually stopped learning the viola for many years, and only decided to “pull it out of the closet” last week. Her reason for picking up viola again is quite interesting – she wants to find out if she should continue to “do music as a career”. She shared that she had volunteered to another friend to perform with their orchestra for an upcoming concert in August, and immediately looked up a viola tutor to fine-tune her rusty skills. Her idea seems that if she is able to stay committed to the weekly practices with the orchestra, then she would know her “direction is still in the music arena”. She is also seriously considering if she should continue to teach piano, or if she should go into a different field, like counseling or nursing, which are areas she is always keen on.

My friend’s dilemma brings to mind the principles of self-attribution, especially Bem’s self-perception theory. Social psychologists have pointed out that sometimes our own emotions, attitudes, or abilities are unclear and ambiguous to us. Rather than figuring out what we like or want by introspection, Bem argued that we receive only minimal internal cues to our attitudes. If this is the case, we must infer our own attitudes by observing our own overt behaviour. This seems to be precisely what my friend is doing. She wishes to know whether she still has a passion for music, by seeing how well she plays the viola, and how much perseverance and focus she has during her practice sessions with the orchestra.

I could also sense this principle at work in diminishing the intrinsic interest she used to have for teaching piano. She is paid quite substantially for her job, but this does not seem to give her much satisfaction lately. She complained about students who either learn too slowly, or who do not have much passion, but learn the instrument in order to attain the various grades at the behest of their parents. She said she sometimes wonders how much benefit to society she contributes as a piano teacher.

I think she could be falling victim to over-justification, which occurs when people attribute their liking for a task to the (material) rewards they obtain, rather than to their own intrinsic interest in the job. Her motivation as a piano teacher appears to have been undermined by the material gains she has made, and also by her perceived lack of aptitude in her students. I wonder if she would still feel motivated to continue her career teaching piano if her students show a great deal of interest and improvements in their skills.

I hope my friend won’t need to take too long to find the answer she is looking for.

2 comments:

Y33133 said...

HI Ju Lee,

I believe your friend has come to this point in life where she has to make another big decision. i mean another because marriage can be one big thing, moving house can be another one big thing.

I guess she needs something that can give her satisfaction and by taking out viola, she's taking it as a cue to anchor herself in life. (anchoring principle)

she perhaps does not need to the high paying job but the passion that keeps life going. If someone is happy with little money, she has truly found happiness. If she were to cling on to the piano teacher job and justify it by saying that she can buy lots of stuff with that money, she's in fact not justifying her passion for viola. Not to mention students having to justify the moeny they paid for a teacher who have the tendency to 'complain' about them.

cheers for passion and leave those justification to behind because time do not wait.

ne_ihs said...

Wow so coincidental, I also play the viola. Your friend does sound like she doesn't really know what she wants in terms of her career.

She reminds me of myself, as I was unhappy with my job and original field of training, and wanted to find out whether psychology was a field that would give me more satisfaction. At least for me i've taken the step to see if a career switch is really for me.

As for the reason i'm learning the viola, I like the viola, and am thinking of going into teaching music even after retirement. I hope that if i really start teaching music, i will not suffer from the overjustification effect as well.